Denver AuditorWelcome to the Office of Auditor Timothy M. O'Brien
Over 40 Years of Experience
Denver’s Auditor, Timothy M. O’Brien, CPA, has more than 40 years of auditing and accounting experience. Auditor O’Brien strives to bring greater clarity, transparency, and accountability to Denver’s city government for its residents. Elected as the Denver Auditor in 2015, Timothy O’Brien is distinguished from his predecessors by being a professional auditor. He is a licensed Certified Public Accountant and holds the designations of Chartered Financial Analyst and Chartered Global Management Accountant.
About the Auditor
In his 11 years in Colorado’s top auditing job, the Colorado State Auditor, Auditor O’Brien:
- Pushed for the Great Colorado Payback program that returned almost $400 million to the rightful owners
- Produced over 750 financial and performance audits
- Identified savings of over $200 million
- Managed budget increases to less than 1.5% per year
- Was twice recognized by the non-partisan National Conference of State Legislatures for his legislative program
As a Board member, an Audit Committee expert, and as an auditor, Auditor O’Brien:
- Participated in hundreds of audits
- Facilitated the merger between two publicly held corporations
- Advised public pension plans
Auditor O’Brien has led both private and public organizations, and provided expert financial advice to those and others. He was honored with the 2016 Jonathan Holtzinger Award of Excellence by the Colorado Chartered Financial Analyst Society for demonstrating the highest standards as a financial and investment professional. Auditor O’Brien also received the 2017 Outstanding CPA in Government Impact Award from the American Institute of CPAs.
Auditor O’Brien’s experience includes:
- Chairman, Board of Trustees, Public Employee Retirement Association of Colorado (PERA)
- Chairman of the Board, family of 29 mutual funds
- President and CEO, American Humane Association
- Chairman of the Board and Chair of the Audit Committee, Colorado Housing and Finance Authority (CHFA)
- Board Member and Chairman of the Audit Committee of a telecommunications company
- Board Member and Treasurer, Lions Club of Denver
- President and Board Member, Colorado Society of CPAs
- Governing Council Member, American Institute of CPAs
- Investment Advisory Council Member, Alaska State Pension Investment Board
Auditor O’Brien’s professional associations include:
- Colorado Society of CPAs (licensed since 1974)
- American Institute of CPAs
- Chartered Financial Analyst Institute
- Colorado Society of Chartered Financial Analysts (licensed since 1999)
- National Association of State Auditors (life member)
- B.S.B.A. Accounting major, Loyola University- Chicago
- M.B.A. University of Colorado
Personal life: Tim O’Brien lives in Southeast Denver with his wife Mary Frances Kelley. They have three wonderful daughters and an adorable grandson. Auditor O’Brien can be reached by calling (720) 913-5000 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Internal auditing focuses on identifying risks that threaten the ability of an organization to accomplish its mission. The Auditor’s Office conducts independent audits of city agencies to help mitigate identified risks in order to enhance efficiency and effectiveness, reduce costs, and improve the quality of services.
Enforcing the city’s prevailing wage requirements to ensure that contractors and subcontractors working for the city pay their employees nothing less than the appropriate rate for the classification of worker.
Enforcing the city’s minimum wage law. Beginning July 1, 2019, it is the law and our office works to ensure covered workers get what they are owed.
Assisting the Auditor with oversight responsibilities concerning the integrity of the city’s finances and operations. Receives the results of the internal audits conducted by the Auditor and is briefed monthly at public committee hearings.
Get in touch
Interested in receiving our monthly newsletter and report alerts as they're released? Use this form and sign-up below.